Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Rats 101 - A Plea for Petdom

Hello, all you open minded people!
I can call you that because you've caught on that I am writing about rats and you are still reading. That's  a big step when you bring these furry little fellas into a conversation.

So you must be in one of three camps.

In Camp A, they're saying "yeah, I know, rats make great pets." They are following along, nodding their heads, and in total agreement.

Camp B says "alright, let's hear what you got but...it ain't gonna happen!"

Then there's Camp C. Camp C looks like this: Skin crawling. Heebie jeebies. Shuddering with disgust. Appalled by the fact that they are still reading this, Camp C juuust can't stop. They're the ones that watch Fear Factor through their fingers pretending to cover their eyes. You guys are funny.

I suppose, technically, there's a Camp D ... but they already left.

That's why I brought it up. I'm taking it upon myself to advocate for these remarkable rodents because not many will.

Because, you see, a teacher at my school, let's call him... Don :),  is talking about getting a pet and I've heard this conversation before. It goes like this:

"I'm going to get a class pet," says teacher.
"Ah, great! You should get a rat!" Say I.
"Ew! No! That's disgusting! Why would you say that? Yulchk!!"

To which, there is no real return.

But there are SO many good reasons to have a pet rat instead of other animals. Some reasons are simply positive attributes of Rattus rattus while others are the drawbacks of other animals.

So over the next few posts, I will be exploring and illustrating why a rat might just find his way into your classroom - invited even!

Afterwards, I will explore a few tips and bits of advice about keeping and caring for rats.

In the meantime, what camp are you in?

Do you see a place for a little rat in your learning space or is there a definite line that has been drawn between rodents and students? Let me know! It'll be like a survey!

Hope you stick around! You too, 'Don'.

<:3 )~~

No Dons were harmed in the making of this post. Great care was taken to ensure all Dons were treated with the utmost care and respect. For more information on how Dons were involved in this post, please, use your imagination.

8 comments:

  1. Hehe, Nice Liam.
    I'm a bit of a 'Camp B' Don. I narrowly missed becoming the proud (or not) owner of a rodent. I may have rigged the voting somewhat, with a few well placed photos of a very cute alternative and some pre-voting class trips to a rodent free SPCA, housing afore mentioned cute alternative.
    As a result it was a small white Netherland Dwarf bunny which ended up sitting on my shoulder nibbling my hair this morning during roll call, when the children decided it was too mean to put her out in the rain.
    Apparently my shoulder was the best alternative. I'm not sure I would have sat still for long if they'd deposited a rodent instead!
    Caz
    Footsteps & Post-it Notes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Caz! Very sneaky though... ;)

      Liam
      Ⓣwist ⓞf Ⓛiam

      Delete
  2. I am definitely in camp B. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it.

    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're amazing creatures...just a bad rep, that's all.

      Liam
      Ⓣwist ⓞf Ⓛiam

      Delete
  3. Too funny! I'm definitely in Camp B but leaning towards C! If I keep reading your posts, I may move up to A...you make rodents sound fun and interesting! I look forward to reading your future posts.
    I found your blog via Clutter Free Classroom and have really enjoyed this first look around your blog. I'm your newest follower!
    Diane
    schoolhousetreasures

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally in Camp A! I had a science teacher in 7th grade that had two rats, Beverly(Hills) and Holly(wood). We played with them all the time during class. I fell in love with them! Thanks for sharing with others about their greatness. I've never had a class pet but when I do, a rat will be my first choice!

    Des
    When I Grow Up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those names and I'm glad you are already convinced!

      Liam
      Ⓣwist ⓞf Ⓛiam

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...