Thursday, November 10, 2011

Flipping out!

Have you heard of this???

I will be the first to admit that I had never heard tell of it before but I am comforted by the fact that as I talk about it with fellow teachers and management staff, they hadn't either. I might even add that they are almost as excited about it as I am (or else they are simply humouring me until I let them be)!

A "flipped classroom" refers to various approaches to teaching but one common theme amongst most applications of the name is that the lessons are delivered in a pocast/video/tutorial-esque manner. My understanding is that the "learning" happens out of the class, while the application of the knowledge and skills is nurtured in class, rather than as homework.

If you are curious, I suggest checking out these links for more info:
http://www.ted.com/talks/salman_khan_let_s_use_video_to_reinvent_education.html
If you like words, go here:
http://www.thedailyriff.com/articles/the-flipped-class-shedding-light-on-the-confusion-critique-and-hype-801.php
and then, (if you are really keen):
http://www.thedailyriff.com/articles/how-the-flipped-classroom-is-radically-transforming-learning-536.php

I am really excited to be teaching English again next year and have some BIG ideas for how I will incorporate this into my Literacy Passport. If I were to pick a super overarching theme for my class next year, it would be something along the lines of "Developing Independence". Above all, I want my students to be able to seize control of their learning pathway and excel. Like I said, BIG IDEAS and I can see this as a perfect compliment to that direction.

So, have you heard of a flipped classroom? Have you used it or seen it in operation? Let me know what you know! So I can go into this better prepared.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of Khan Academy before and I think it is FANTASTIC. Unfortunately most of my kids don't have internet at home and are too young to get at this themselves. However, I think it is great you get to do it.

    Ms. M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I haven't seen this before and it looks extremely interesting! Like Ms. M, a lot of my students don't have computers at home but this does make me think of ways I could do this in the class--it would be great to have certain lessons on video so that they could be referenced again if need be. Thanks for sharing this, it really has me thinking!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...